This Internet Case Management system was developed
by the Alaska Appellate Courts and the Alaska
Judicial Council with a grant from the State
Justice Institute. It makes available to attorneys and the public the 90% of the
appellate courts' internal case management system which is not confidential.
Appellate case data can be accessed by entering an appellate case number, a trial court case number, or a party's last name (or business name). Wildcards are used for the party's last name search. For example, entering "smith" will list all cases in which a party's last name begins with smith; for example: "smith," "smithson," etc. Appellate cases also can be accessed from a list of cases for each appellate court, or for each appellate case type.
Once an appellate case is located, the case information is presented in two frames. The top frame includes basic case information such as case name, case number and overall case status. [Click on the Case Status heading to see a list and explanation of all overall case statuses.] The top frame also includes a button bar used to get more specific.
The bottom frame contains more specific information about the appellate case which depends on the button selected in the top frame. The choices include:
- General Info: General information about the appellate case.
- Record/Transcript: Information about the record and transcript. Click on the headings Record Status or Transcript Status to see a list and explanation of all statuses.
- Opening Pleadings: Information about notices of appeal, petitions for review or hearing, petition oppositions, and petition disposition. Click on the number under "Detail" to get a second screen showing NOA or petition details. On this second screen, click on Status to see a list and explanation of all possible opening pleading statuses.
- Oral Argument: Information about Oral Argument.
- Parties: Lists appellate parties to this case. Click on the number under "Detail" to get a second screen showing detailed information about the party selected. Information about a GAL also is on this second screen.
- Briefs: Lists briefs in the case. Click on the number under "Detail" to get a second screen showing detailed information about the brief selected. On this second screen, click on Status to see a list and explanation of all possible briefs statuses.
- Motions/Orders: Lists motions in the case. Click on the number under "Detail" to get (1) detailed information on the motion selected; (2) a button titled "Oppositions/Responses" which leads to a screen detailing any oppositions or responses to that motion; and (3) a button titled "Orders" which leads to a screen providing information on an order deciding the motion.
- Sua Sponte Orders: Lists orders issued by the appellate court which were NOT issued in response to a motion.
- Publication Info: Lists published opinions. Click on the number under "Detail" to get a second screen showing detailed information about the opinion. The text of the opinion is not available here, but may be available by clicking on "Opinions/Rules" on the top button bar in the top frame.
- Attorneys: Lists attorneys (and their clients) in the case. Click on the number under "Detail" to get a second screen showing detailed information about the attorney selected.